Monday, March 25, 2013

I Know Where You Live

Some time ago, I was walking in a neighborhood when I heard some young boy shout at another young fellow, "I know where you live."  

If you can remember when you were a youngster that phrase generally means that someone knows where they can find you and you "better look out" because there's trouble brewing and its heading your way!

I remember when I was a kid, my best friend, Tim, got himself in some trouble.  Another kid was after him and he knew where Tim lived.  My friend said it was no big deal but when I discovered who this kid was, it was a big deal.  Looking back at it now, it would be like the old line from the movie "Jaws."  When Roy Scheider sees the great white shark up close for the first time, he says to the veteran shark hunter, "You're going to need a bigger boat."

My friend was going to need a bigger boat to survive this storm and the shark was beginning to circle.  What was Tim going to do?  He had to come out of his house sometime.  Tim was short for his age and had no chance by himself.  However, together we were able to survive this situation.

Has there ever been a time in your life when the shark was circling your house?  When you felt powerless?  When someone was trying to harm you?  Trying to take away your happiness, your love, your hope, your money, your faith?  What did you do?  Was there anything you could do?

The Bible tells us that there are two Kingdoms.  One belongs to Satan, the evil one.  The other belongs to God.  Jesus says we can live in only one kingdom.  We cannot live on the fence.  These two kingdoms have been in conflict since the beginning.  Jesus tells us in John 10:10, "The thief (Satan) does not come except to steal, to kill, and to destroy.  I have come that they may have life, and that they may have it more abundantly."

During this Holy Week, I urge you to know where you live.  You were made to live in the Kingdom of God.  But remember, the evil one also knows where you live.  When you really get a look at him, you will realize that you're going to need a bigger boat.  You cannot tackle evil all by yourself.  As Christians, our skipper is the Lord Jesus Christ.  He has a big boat.  He will lead you through the storms of life.  When all is said and done, we need to know where we live and when people ask you what you want most in life, tell them this, "Just give me Jesus."  



No comments:

Post a Comment