Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Where Did The Wow Go?

What gives meaning to your life?  What is it that motivates you each morning and gets you through the day?  What do you have to look forward to?  In short, what makes you happy?

Does your happiness involve getting or giving?  Most of us enjoy receiving a present.  Christmas is coming up and will be here before we know it.  I remember as a child receiving my first present.  On Christmas eve, I could hardly get to sleep.  When I woke up it was still dark.  I went into the living room.  The lights on the Christmas tree were shining and there it was under the Christmas tree.  I couldn't have been happier.  It was a Texaco Gas Station complete with cars and little play action figures.  Wow!  It doesn't get better than this as a little kid.  That's as good at gets.  Wow!

When is the last time you had a "Wow!" experience?  When one of my family members was about the same age as I was when I got that great present, I decided to get him a present to recapture the "Wow!"  Not just any present but one designed to get a "Wow!"  After careful research I decided to get him a remote control car.  It was shiny red with racing decals on it and it could "lay rubber."  I had trouble getting to sleep again that Christmas Eve, but not because I was going to get something, but because I was going to give something.  When he opened up that present you could see his eyes flash and he was so happy.  We both had a "Wow!" experience.

I believe that what gives meaning to our lives is when we get outside of ourselves and give to others.  When is the last time you truly helped someone?  Whether the other person was in a financial, physical, or psychological crisis.  When, because of you, you were able to change another person's life.  You, with the help of God, were able to make the world a better place to live.  This is where you will feel the "Wow!"  

No comments:

Post a Comment