Monday, June 17, 2013

The Detective

Have you ever wanted to be a detective?  Are you curious?  Do you like to get to the bottom of things.  If you do, let's see if you can figure out what happened to me yesterday.

 My wife, Reva, developed an infection Saturday morning and spent the night in Mercy Hospital.  When I visited her Sunday afternoon several mysterious things happened.  I, unfortunately, missed 5 consecutive clues until I finally got the 6th and last clue correct.

Clue #1.  She spent 7 hours in the emergency room as they treated her and waited to find a room ready for admission.

Clue #2.  When I came to the hospital Sunday afternoon to visit her I was given instructions to see her on the 5th floor in room 5167.  I took the elevator to the fifth floor.  Went to the end of the hall where I saw a sign saying "Rooms 5100 - 5165."  Well, I could see that I would not be able to get into it here because the room I wanted was 5167 - the volunteer lady at the main desk had written it down for me.  I went the other way down the hall but could not see any rooms pointing towards 5167.  Hmmm.  So, I went back to the end of the hall where the sign read, "Rooms 5100 - 5165." 

Clue #3.  Two men were sitting behind windows.  I told them I could not find room 5167 and wanted to know how to get there.  One of them told me to disregard the numbers and just go through the door next to them.  I was going to do that but they stopped me and said I could not go through that door.  I was then told to show an ID and so I did.  I gave them my drivers license.  They took a picture of it.  They then made me look into a camera and they took my picture.  I told them that was a bit strange but they didn't say anything.  They then asked me who I was going to see.  I told them I was going to see my wife.  They looked surprised but didn't say anything.  They gave me the visitor badge and I went through the door.  

Clue #4.  I was only paying attention to finding the room and I was having trouble finding it.  Finally, I located it.  There it was.  Room 5167.  I went in and kissed my wife.  She was doing ok and they were going to keep her another night.  We were concerned about her eyes and decided to ask the nurse who would be the best doctor, here in Springfield, to treat her eyes.  Reva believed that the nurses would know who the best doctors were.  Later, the nurse came in and we asked her.  Her name was Monica and she told us she did not know any of the eye doctors; however, if we wanted to know who the best gynecologist/obstetrician was she would be able to tell us.

Clue #5.  (Have you figured it out yet?)  Now I began to get really puzzled about what was going on.  Why all this security to visit my wife?  Why did the two guys behind the windows look at me so surprised?  Why am I in a room in which the room number was not on the sign?  And why would a nurse make such a strange statement as only being able to recommend a gynecologist?  

Clue #6.  I then looked down on the visitor badge they gave me.  Yes.  There was my picture on the badge.  There was the room number - 5167.  And then I saw it and it explained everything.  It had the Wing information also:  Wing 5BGYN.

I couldn't believe I had not put everything together until now.  We were in the maternity wing of the hospital.  The only room they could get for her.  Now I knew why so long in the ER.  The nurse only able to give a reference for a gynecologist.  Why room 5167 was not on the sign.  Why the men took my picture and asked for my identification and why they looked so surprised when I said I was here to visit my wife.  They must have thought my wife was a lot younger than me to be having a baby.  My wife and I both laughed when we figured it out.  

When I left the room I looked to the left and there was a sign that said, "Labor and Delivery."

When I opened the door and looked at the two men, I didn't do it, but I wanted to say, "Yeah! I'm the man!  Yeah, the man!  

How did you do?  Did you figure it out before I did?  

(My first and perhaps last personal post on my blog.)  




No comments:

Post a Comment