Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Salute To High School Graduates



When I graduated from high school I got a call from my uncle who lived in a fairly large city.  He wanted me to come stay with him for the summer and he already had a well paying job all set up for me.  When I asked him what it entailed, he said, “All you have to do is ride shotgun on the truck and tell the workers where and when to spread oil on the roads.  It pays $10 an hour.”  I thought about that for about five seconds and told my uncle, “Gee.  Thanks a lot Uncle Del, but I already have a job lined up for the summer.”  I hung up the phone and then went out an got a job at a hamburger stand for $1.00 an hour.  

What happened?  I was afraid I would fail.  As a result, instead of making a lot of money in the summer to help me pay for college, I played it safe and made very little.  The bottom line is this:  I lacked confidence in myself.

How do we develop confidence?  Much of this comes with life experience; however, the Bible gives us the answer that we need.  The Apostle Paul, in Philippians 4:13 gives us this advice:  “I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.”  

When we find ourselves facing tough decisions on what to do in life, take time to pray about it and ask Christ to guide you to make the right decision, and then to give you strength and confidence to do it. 


You are not alone.  God will help you.  May God give you the courage and confidence to go forth and  make a difference in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment